Sunday, January 31, 2010

We CAN'T get it mixed up

A devotion reminded me of a struggle of mine:

I allow God's holiness to be mixed up in my quest for moral perfection.

Of course, I am less than morally perfect, and I know this, but when it comes to certain things in life (for example, particular struggles), I endeavor to overcome those struggles so badly (without rather, an unabated focus on God's redemptive power over my life), that overcoming those struggles winds up becoming more of a goal and focus than God's word.

Ironically, I am humbled when I fall into temptation and stumble again.

I know I CAN'T overcome who I am without God...so I don't know why I try to.

This, however, is besides the point.

The Gospel teaches me already that I am a sinner: Romans 3:23: "For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God's glorious standard."

Thus, there is no "pride" that should be felt when I am overcoming a particular sin. I only know I can do this through God. Notice how when you spend more time with God at certain periods of your life, you are challenged and grow more deeply in your faith.

For me, spending less time with God is dangerous. I gradually become this second person, perhaps someone I don't want to be. Importantly, I forget God's saving grace for my life and start taking more things for granted.

I guess the conclusion is that we should not test ourselves or think that we can do it on our own. We need to continually spend time with God and prioritize Him in our lives, so that we continually remember what He has done for us.

...this, in affect, will help us overcome our particular struggles.

Our focus, however, should be more on Him than ourselves.

..if you find yourself slipping, you should try and make a commitment NOT to fall, and re-enter the world of God's word.

No comments:

Post a Comment