Monday, May 28, 2012

Don't Worry, Be Trusting


Worry and anxiety is all consuming, it can permeate your thought process, making it difficult to focus on how beautiful life is. Pastor John describes “worry/stress” as a thief that “takes everything beautiful” from you. In the midst of God’s splendor—the beauty of nature, His life changing impact, His forgiveness, humility and kindness, the act of worrying can make these perfect, pure, and immaculate qualities as good as nothing.

In essence, anxiety distorts the meaning of life. Why have we grown so accustomed towards worrying? It seems to be a default function of humanness. It is commonplace to worry and we accept this activity without thinking twice about it. Is it possible as human beings to simply let go of the stresses that claim us?

In light of Bobby McFerrin’s 1988 hit song, “Don’t Worry, Be Happy,” Pastor John teaches us another way: Don’t Worry, Be Trusting. It may sound easier said than done, but with practice, we can combat the force of worry by trusting in the Lord.

Matthew 6:25-34 instructs us to Trust in the Lord:
Do Not Worry
25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes?26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life[a]?....

Pastor John instructs us to consider God’s provision, providence, lavishness, and priorities in overcoming our propensity towards worry. We must understand that the Lord will and does always provide for us. This does not mean that we should fall into laziness expecting the Lord to create possibility out of thin air. This means of course that we should put in our day’s work, do all that we can do in our best abilities, while asking the Lord for guidance and direction. We then must pray and trust that the Lord will provide because we have given him the platform to.

When telling a friend about my worried state because I had reached an uncertain period of life of having to consider different paths that would become my future, she told me that the Lord would provide the best path for me and that it was best for me to keep many doors open so that the Lord could bless the path that he knew was best at my stage of life. We must understand that the Lord directs all things according to his sovereignty and providence. Even though we have free will, the Lord will not allow us to go down a path outside of his will if we are connected to him and praying for his will. We must, furthermore, also consider how lavish the Lord is.

“See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin.  Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these.” (Matthew 6:28-29)

When you truly evaluate your life you will discover how detailed and lavish the Lord is with his blessings. Sometimes this can be illustrated by examining the precise timing of a certain blessing, the beauty of a friendship that has blessed your life, the wonder of nature. Even something we consider simple like listening to music can reveal how beautiful and lavish God is, musical notes coming together can create a beautiful melody soothing to the ear.

Lastly we should consider God’s priorities over our life and his will. God has ultimately created us for relationship with him to the extent of bridging our relationship with him through the innocent sacrifice of his son. If we keep this wondrous idea the main thing, then it sets our stresses and anxieties in order. Is it necessary to worry about a job prospect, a stressful work situation, money, etc…in the miraculous light of a powerful and loving God who created us to enjoy us?  

We must set our priorities straight. Oftentimes I let worry defeat me to the point that I do not give God the chance to provide for me. I do not allow myself to trust in the Lord and many times I become a coward. Ultimately, worry has robbed my life of the beautiful things the Lord has entitled to me. Particular to me, I worry immensely about what people will think of me in this/that situation. I worry so much about other's opinions of me because in those moments God's opinion of me is on the back burner, I have allowed sinful and depraved human thoughts and opinions to reign supreme over my life rather than the pure, sovereign truth (not opinion) of the Lord. 

We must practice rejoicing in the Lord rather than worrying by changing the lies we tell ourselves, and by proclaiming positive things about ourselves and our world rather than negative things. One of my favourite verses for combating worry is Philippians 4:6-8. Let us practice this verse in our daily meditation. =)

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

No comments:

Post a Comment