Wednesday, July 17, 2013

First Love

"God will look to every soul like its first love because He is its first love. Your place in heaven will seem to be made for you and you alone, because you were made for it." ~ C. S. Lewis in The Problem of Pain.

Who is your first love? When I first read these words, I was overwhelmed. Why of course! Our soul can find no rest or peace in a world without God. Because He was the One imprinted on us from the beginning, He is the One who breathed us into being. There is no one else.

To have a God prepare our souls for life on earth, and then life with Him in eternity... is mind-blowing and beyond human conception. It reminds me of the beautiful verse in 1 Corinthians 2:9:

Eye has not seen, nor ear heard,
Nor have entered into the heart of man
The things which God has prepared for those who love Him.

I remember back in March when I was incredibly nervous and anxious about a potentially life-changing event. I settled down to do my afternoon bible reading and this was the verse presented before me. I could have cried as I was so touched, relieved, and I knew that whatever came to pass, would be beautiful. Even though it didn't go as I had planned or wished, I know it's all for good. And I know that while God is fashioning a wondrous place for my soul in heaven, He too is creating something beautiful for me while I walk His earth.

God is our first love, whether we recognize it or not. And we are His.

2 comments:

  1. This is so true...God is our first love and this is why we can not find satisfaction and true fulfillment in anything else.

    We should all practice God as our first love. I find here on earth we have to train and learn what should have been natural to us because of sin.

    The question then becomes, how do we practice God as our first love? Thnx for sharing such a beautiful revelation :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments girl! Good question! I don't know how best we could practice God as our first love? It's strange when things don't come naturally, feels forced BUT that is the nature of our faith, to overcome our human tendencies and realign ourselves.

    I think we could view our relationship with God as we would with whoever is most important in our lives, be it family, friend, or lover. Like how we would always set aside time for them in our day, or they be the first person we'd tell things to/confide in, etc. Just putting God first and being mindful of Him is a good start. And then I'm sure it'll become automatic. Like how we already feel less when we don't spend that daily time with Him. More and more as He reveals His truths and extent of His love for us, we will reciprocate. It's like a potential lover who pursues us relentlessly, we will fall if we let ourselves =) What do you think?

    ReplyDelete