Friday, August 2, 2013

A Simple Question that Changes Everything...

Psalms 34:3 O magnify the Lord with me and let us exalt his name together.

Hebrews 12:1-2 And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. 

The more years I spend limping and struggling through my walk with the Lord Jesus Christ, the more and more I realize His call on my life. I am deeply humbled by his promise to never forsake us (Matthew 28:20). Oftentimes I am driven to tears realizing that such a worthless sinner like me would receive so much love and mercy. O the beauty of our Lord. May we revel and marvel in how good he is to us...

As I am a person who is often distracted by my own thoughts and driven down winding roads and inconsequential roundabouts, it takes a lot of effort for me to fix my eyes on the Lord Jesus Christ, but this is what he has asked us to do. 

A simple powerful question that usually obliterates every "pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God" (2 Corinthians 10:5) ....at least in my mind is this: 

What am I putting before Jesus Christ? What am I allowing to impair my vision of him?

We should ask ourselves this not just as a daily question, but as a moment by moment wake-up call and reality check. 

The material, corporeal world is blinding, this is why we have been instructed to look only to Jesus Christ. As a child have you ever held a magnifying glass up to an insect? Do you remember how big it gets? The psalmist tells us to magnify the Lord in our hearts. 

Do you wonder how big of a space the Lord actually occupies inside of you? Although I may spend time with the Lord daily, I would not in the slightest be surprised if it was perhaps only a microscopic portion of my heart. How easy it is for me to direct my attentions elsewhere! 

Dear God, thank you for your mercy and grace for all of us who believe. Thank you for cleansing us through faith. Despite the sin that is ever so pervasive in our hearts, thank you for your kindness and your purposed plan of redemption. Dear Lord, you are too good to us and we don't deserve it....there is no part of who we are that deserves you. 

2 comments:

  1. Such an insightful piece Imo, thanks for sharing! I love the idea of magnifying the Lord. We certainly must do that and be mindful of it daily. The question you posed is so true. I too allow a lot of things to get in the way of my relationship with God. Especially when I sin knowingly. If I asked myself that question more often, I am sure I will understand greater the extremities of my sin.

    It is touching to read how you are driven to tears by God's love...that is a beautiful thing, truly! The love of God is rich in your heart, sister <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It's so true...I realize this week how I have allowed so many other things to be magnified before the Lord...like magnifying my emotional pain over God. :/

    Oh yes...same to you! The love of God is rich in your heart :) Praise God that by his grace we are able to gain deeper knowledge of him.

    ReplyDelete