Sunday, April 18, 2010

It's not my responsibility to ASSESS others

Like all human beings, I want to be treated right. In this desire, sometimes I forget about the way that I have treated others. I forget about the ways in which I may have been impatient, angry, rude, ignorant, and inconsiderate with them. I usually forget because it's all about me, right? My pride is colossal.

Sometimes in our attempt to have others get it right, to correct what we perceive to be the inconsiderate behaviour of others, we forget our simple obligation to love.

I do wish I could remember to love DESPITE...but sometimes I think why doesn't s/he treat me in this/that way...how come they don't understand that this/that hurts my feelings? In this/that situation, I wouldn't do that to them. I forget to love DESPITE...

Romans 13: 8 "Owe nothing to anyone--except your OBLIGATION to love one another. If you love your neighbor, you fulfill the requirements of God's law."

I realize that I always validate the way I feel. Yes, my feelings may have weight and impact, but I have an even bigger duty...I have been called to LOVE. This duty outweighs all of the other feelings I may feel in my daily life.

This calling is immense and is a huge responsibility. God has called me to this high purpose and I must honour it. It is a huge and hard obligation to deal with, but I must continue to try nonetheless.

I realize it is not my responsibility to constantly assess where others have gone wrong. Yes, I should correct a brother or sister that has gone astray or is acting in such a way that they undermine God's word (so long as that person identifies themselves as a believer in Christ), but I must assess my pride. Sometimes I realize a concentration on how people have hurt me, what they are doing to undermine me and my feelings may be a direct result of pride in my life. Are they really doing anything wrong? Perhaps they do not interpret their behaviour as wrong...and I quickly jump to conclusions.

My task is to be a lot more patient in how I deal with others. I must fight the urge to constantly correct and assess others.

I'm trying my best not to judge others, especially those who are non-believers. We must fight this.

A good way to go about changing one's behaviour is thinking simply..."Okay God doesnt want me to feel this way..."

We must remember to KEEP...the MAIN THING THE MAIN THING...! And this is Jesus Christ and his death for us!

Imogen

No comments:

Post a Comment